LEGAL COACHING – GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Legal coaching is a type of unbundled legal service where a lawyer-coach offers behind-the-scenes guidance in order to provide a client with the legal advice, information, strategies and tools that they need to allow them to independently manage their own legal matter as effectively as possible.
Legal coaches can help in a number of ways including:
- Legal advice
- Goal setting (both short- and long-term)
- Strategic guidance
- Expectation management
- Editing of client-drafted material
- Education on relevant legal concepts
- Process navigation
- Preparation for court and ADR appearances (including preparation of necessary documentation),
- Assisting with negotiation and settlement
With legal coaching, the client maintains responsibility for all aspects of the dispute, but the coach is available in the background to provide advice and support as needed.
Think of it this way: In a traditional practice, the lawyer drives the “legal bus” while the client rides as a passenger. With legal coaching, the client drives the “legal bus” with the lawyer as the “GPS/navigation system”.
More content on legal coaching is currently under development. Stay tuned!